Eating Healthy Doesn’t Have to Be Boring.
Try some of these recipes and spice up your lunch hour!
Veggie Burrito To Go:
- Mix shredded carrots, zucchini, yellow squash, green onions, olives, black beans and sliced red or green peppers, 2 ounces shredded 2% cheese. When ready to eat place veggie mixture on wrap or tortilla, top with salsa, shredded lettuce and cheese.
Curry Papaya Chicken Salad:
- Combine 1/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt, 1 tsp curry powder, dash of ground ginger, 1/2 tsp honey and dash of apple cider vinegar. In separate bowl combine 1/2 cup chopped chicken, chopped celery, green onions and papaya. Can combine the night before and pack. When ready to eat stuff mixture into a Whole Wheat Pita or wrap in a Whole Wheat Wrap.
- Pack the following to be assembled when ready to eat. Whole Wheat Pita, 2 Tbsp tomato sauce seasoned with oregano, basil, chopped green peppers or other veggies, small amount of part-skim mozzarella and tsp of parmesan.
Spinach Caesar Salad Pitas:
- Combine a handful of fresh spinach with ½ cup diced, cooked chicken. In separate bowl combine 1 Tbsp of low fat Caesar dressing and diced tomatoes. Pack a few croutons in a baggie. When ready to eat add dressing and tomatoes to spinach, top with crushed croutons and place in 1/2 Whole Wheat Pita.
- Combine 2 handfuls fresh spinach, diced red onion, sliced red pepper, sliced cucumber, sliced toasted almonds in container. In a separate container place 1/2 orange, peeled and chopped and a Tbsp of light vinaigrette dressing. When ready to eat add orange and dressing to salad and toss.
Turkey, Cranberry and Walnut Salad:
- Combine a couple pieces chopped turkey, small handful dried cranberries and walnuts, 1/2 chopped apple, 1 Tbsp low fat dressing. In a separate bowl place lettuce or fresh spinach. When ready to eat pour mixture over salad and toss.
Caprese Salad Sandwich:
- On whole wheat bread layer couple slices of part skim mozzarella cheese, fresh basil leaves, lettuce and sliced tomato. When ready to eat drizzle lightly with balsamic vinegar and olive oil mixture.
Greek Pita Sandwich:
- Toss garbanzo beans, diced cucumbers, diced celery, diced tomatoes in light Greek dressing. Sprinkle small amount of feta cheese on top, can prepare the night before. When ready to eat stuff inside 1/2 whole wheat pita, may spread hummus inside for an extra kick.
Santa Fe Salad:
- Combine lettuce, black beans, tomatoes, diced onion and diced green pepper in a bowl. In a smaller bowl mix together 2 Tbsp mashed avocado, 1 tbsp light sour cream, 1 tbsp salsa and a squirt of lime juice. When ready to eat pour avocado mixture (aka guacamole – it may turn brown but that doesn’t effect the flavor) over lettuce and toss. Sprinkle with handful of crushed Baked Tostitos Scoops.
- Toss handful frozen Asian vegetable mix with 2 Tbsp Teriyaki sauce over cooked brown rice. When ready to eat cover and microwave until vegetables are warm.